Sunday, April 29, 2012

Flat Tax, PLEASE!

I'm always in a bad mood in April because I do my own taxes.  It sickens me the amount of money I send to the government, but I don't mind paying taxes, I mind doing taxes.  I pay the government a lot, so why is it that they make me read obscure tax code and spend a lot of time figuring out how much more I owe them then they have already taken from me? 

I have a dream that if we televised every member of the senate & congress doing their own taxes, they would quickly pass a flat tax law.  Stop legislating social issues in the tax code, just pick a few flat tax % levels and assess.  I would imagine 90%+ of the IRS could go away, saving taxpayers millions.  The industries surrounding tax preparation would find another service to provide.   It is the right thing to do.   But just when I thought my tax anger was passing, I picked up the new Real Simple magazine and read these stats:

$163 Billion - The total cost of preparing and filing ... tax returns in US, based on hours of labor lost.  OK the basis of this estimate is somewhat executive math, but even if the amount of cash spent in software programs, H&R Block establishments and accountants was only 10% of this number, it's still ridiculous. 


3.8 Million - The number of words in the US tax code.  Taxes have been made far too complicated for no real purpose.  A simpler tax code, with no real deductions, would yield the same net amount without all the hubbub.

No comments:

Post a Comment