Thursday, June 2, 2011

CSA Experiment

Yesterday I picked up my first Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) shipment at Deep Roots on Sepulveda.  This is a weekly box from a local farmer which cost $21.  Overall, it was a good value, but most of the contents isn't what I typically use.  Therefore, I will likely end up throwing out a large portion of it, making it NOT a good value for me.

The contents were collard greens, swiss chard, 2 types of Kale, a bunch of lettuce, parsley, 4 small beets w/ beet greens, 3 small artichokes,  few small onions, 2 zuchini, 4-5 small carrots, and a bag of dried beans.  There was no fruit and it was mainly green leafy vegetables.  The dried beans didn't make any sense since i suspect they were from last season.  Maybe they felt they had to add it to hit a certain value/variety point.

My mother-in-law was here so it took us about an hour to thoroughly wash everything and pack away.  I'd like to see more traditional vegetables in the box and have them be really ripe/good.  So while I will likely try this again in July just to see if mid-summer dramatically changes what you get; this isn't worth it for me.  My husband hates most of this stuff and I don't think it will stay fresh longer than 10 days.
You can find your own CSA pick up place at localharvest.org

No comments:

Post a Comment