Friday, June 24, 2011

Jelly Belly Factory Tour @ Fairlfield, CA, Napa, & drive home

OK, finally got access to a computer since my return.  What a HOT drive back.  It was in the 90's nearly the entire drive from Portland to Vacaville, Where I nearly melted and could go no further.  Since I drove something like 650 miles and couldn't risk the car overheating as it did on the way up; no air conditioning!!! 

Tuesday, went to the Jelly Belly factory tour, which is not worth it.  You basically walk on a cat walk over the factory floor and watch a lot of videos.  However, if you are going to go, go early. I did the 9:40a tour (they open at 9am) and there was a huge line when I finished my tour.

After that, I was off to Napa.  Haven't been up there for over 15 years.  They now charge quite a bit for tasting, but it was good and not crowded.  Bought a few great bottles at Clos du Val as a splurge.  Learned that there are 2 Stag Leap wineries.  Stag Leap is a district for grapes that has been recognized as an appellation so there is no 'ownership' of the name.  So there is a Stag's Leap Wine Cellars (which I mistakenly went to) and a Stag's Leap Winery (which I know and meant to go to).   Kind of tricky.  Also went to Joseph Phelps, which has an amazing deck that overlooks the vineyards.

Had dinner with a friend in SF and then made the long (again HOT) drive back to LA on Wednesday.  I now need to focus on Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment