Thursday, June 2, 2011

Disney Concert Hall Tour

Today, my mother-in-law & I went to the guided tour of the Disney Concert Hall downtown.  It was actually quite interesting.  The building is considered one of the world’s best acoustic concert halls.  The building started in 1987, various reasons and a quest to get the acoustics right, led to the building opening in 2003.  It is a very interesting mix of stainless steel and wood, as well as interesting use of curves and lines.  Lots of skylights make the sunlight pattern very pretty on the inside.   

My mother-in-law said that the Ford Family years ago built a new concert hall in Detroit but the acoustics were so terrible, the city ended up renovating the old concert hall and continues to use that.  The Ford concert hall is slated for demolition, so I guess getting the acoustics right really matters.  This Sunday, she & I are going to look into a simulcast for Dudamel’s last concert of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment